Friday, March 5, 2010

In which I say TTFN to Philly

Tonight is my last night in the city of brotherly love -- and since I am an A+ procrastinator, I'm writing this blog post instead of actually putting my clothes in my suitcases. I'm kind of just hoping I can acquire telekinetic powers, blink, and my room will be packed. I'll let you know how that goes. Nevertheless, I'm going to do a recap of my favorite moments from the last few days, followed by the last installment (at least for now) of the Bromance of 1801.

So, some of my favorite moments this week included...
1) Going to another secret history salon and watching notable historians get progressively more tipsy whilst discussing loyalists in post-revolutionary America. Also, food of choice at said swanky get-together = doritos.

2) Today was a series of goodbyes, but my hands down favorite one was with my historian buddy (Mister Rogers). This conversation happened as he walked by my desk this morning.
HistorianBuddy: So....today's your last day.......bye.
Me: OH! Yea. Bye?
HB: *lingers around desk* So.......do you think you're going to grad school soon?
Me: *long rambling answer that basically said "I don't know"*
HB: Oh.....ok......well, come back soon. We'll miss you. *walks into office and closes door*

I was both confused and endeared.

3) All my favorite people at work decided to take me to out for happy hour today (woo being a quasi-adult!). They then gave me some goodbye gifts, which consisted of: a necklace, a cupcake AND cupcake case for future cupcakes I need to travel with, and a "Join, or Die" colonial political cartoon t-shirt.....may have been the best triumvirate of gifts ever received.

Now onto the final installment of the Bromance of 1801! I must admit, I've become oddly fond of Weems and Mathew, so I'm hoping I can write about them again soon. But, until then, I'll leave you with this last interlude, which happens to be the last letter Weems wrote to Mathew....at least until they rekindled things a few months later. Oh, the drama. This letter had many gems, my particular favorite being when he pulled a "we're like Brutus and Caesar!" but somehow tried to turn it into a good thing. It's unclear if Weems actually listened during history class. Nevertheless, here is the final paragraph of said goodbye letter....

Oct 5th, 1805
But though I trust I shall never cease to feel a joy, in secret, whenever I think of Mathew Carey and the smiles that brighten his face whenever I enter his dwelling, yet I deem it my duty to remind him of one fact which may dispose him at our coming settlement, to do me that justice which I believe ever to have been your wish. I said that you have been unjust and offensive to me – not intentionally, for my abandonment of everything to your integrity is proof that I never dream you capable of injuring me intentionally -- but efficiently, you certainly have.

Perhaps in the ultimate result, all things may work together for good to M. Carey and to M.L. Weems. Compliments to Mrs. Carey.

-ML Weems

And on that note, I leave you with an AHFOD! In reading random documents, I've come across a few words and phrases that I feel we need to bring back in 2010. Because, really, who wouldn't want to spice up their lexical toolbox with these unfortunately-forgotten 1830s phrases. I think I'll try to slip these into conversation on the plane tomorrow (I know, future-seat-neighbor, get excited.)

Huckleberry above a persimmon: a cut above
Example: Ben Franklin is a huckleberry above most people's persimmons.

Honeyfuggle: to deceive by flatter or sweet-talk.
Example: Politicians.


Talk with you from the left coast!

No comments:

Post a Comment