Thursday, January 28, 2010

In which the weather throws down the gauntlet and I say "bring it"

On the off-chance you weren't already aware, I'm one of those people who quite enjoys winning. To make matters worse (maybe better? unclear...), I particularly enjoy winning at things that were never really competitions to begin with.

Exhibit A: Walking to work. No one really challenged me to walk 30 blocks each way. I just decided "hey! I like walking! hey! let's walk to work!" and that's how it went. Except for today. Today, Philly has decided to redefine the word "blustery." Currently, my 13th-floor-windows are bending and making all sorts of reassuring noises. So, walking to work was....interesting. Any rather sane person would have stepped outside today and decided "I don't want to get blown away today, so I'll just take the bus that's right across from my building and costs nothing." But no, somehow, I've decided that the weather has now challenged me, and taking the bus is some sort of failure. Welcome to Casey vs. the Weather, version 2010. I'll let you know when the weather backs down.

Otherwise, work was far less nap-inducing today, and I discovered that reading the census can actually be quite amusing.* [*Note: only actually amusing if you're the kind of person who considers Colonial Williamsburg to be like Disneyland and read things like "The Founding Fathers and YOU!" as a child.]

Which brings me to the AHFOD. I spent most of the day looking at people's occupations, so I decided to make a game out of it (I'm an only child, it's what we do). SO, I picked the top three jobs I'd like to have, but they basically became the three jobs that made me stop and go "....really??" And, though clearly subjective, I believe this still qualifies as a "fact" since you'll be learning three fairly typical jobs of the 19th century (and some awesome new words). The jobs are as follows:

1) Topper -- the 19th century way of saying seamstress. I mostly just picture making top hats all day. And, really, what sounds more fun than that.

2) Huckster -- an awesome, old way of saying peddlar. I kind of just like the word, but I could get into haggling.

3) Butter -- I kid you not, this was what the actual job listing said. I have no idea what this job would entail, but I want it.

On that note, I'm off to begin my first official night of thesis-ing (one can only hope). Tomorrow after work, I'm going straight to a 76ers game to celebrate two of my friends' birthdays, so I'll post sometime this weekend and report on my brand new Friday project -- I know, contain your enthusiasm.

2 comments:

  1. Butter? wow...

    also, it was snowing in boston today. in a 'pelting in your face' kind of way. twas good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's like "buttery," which is Oxford for bakery. The OED has some other good suggestions, though (me, procrastinate?):
    1. A farrier's tool for paring a horse's hoofs.
    2. One who cheats at play.
    3. An animal that butts.
    4. A machine for sawing off the ends of legs or boards, to render them square.

    I'm going with option number 3 as having the most to do with the official profession.
    Also, I have faith that you can face down the wind.

    ReplyDelete